How to change language of Facebook like button according to the language which is actually selected? | XM Community
Solved

How to change language of Facebook like button according to the language which is actually selected?

• 14 August 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +6
  • Level 3 ●●●
  • 197 replies
Hi all,
I'd like to include the Facebook like button to a survey with multiple language versions. I want the text of the button to be always in the same language as the rest of the survey.
Therefore I detected the language and place it to the URL of the source script (`<script async defer crossorigin="anonymous" src="https://connect.facebook.net/'+ lang + '/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v3.0"></script>`). It works, but only in case, the language is selected on some of the previous pages. When I change the language nothing happens, even though it seems that the button is drawn again (it disappears for a short moment and appears again) and I'm able to `alert` the correct language. I've tried to dynamically modify the size of the button and this works. Therefore I suppose that the problem is that there is already loaded another script with another language. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with this. I have read that if I removed the script, the codes would stay in the browser memory anyway. So I don't know how to solve this.
Would anyone have some idea?

The MWE is here:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{

var that = this;
var myURL = 'https://www.qualtrics.com/';

var Q = jQuery("#"+that.questionId);
Q.prepend('<div id="fb-root"></div>');
Q.prepend('<div id="scriptDiv"></div>');

updateLike(myURL);

jQuery('#Q_lang').change(function() {
updateLike(myURL);
});

window.fbAsyncInit = function() {
FB.init({
appId : 'your-app-id',
autoLogAppEvents : true,
xfbml : true,
version : 'v4.0'
});
};

function getLang() {
//Gets value of the Qualtrics language selector and converts it to the Facebook format
//Works for following languages: "CS", "EN", "PT", "IT"

var Q_list = ["CS", "EN", "PT", "IT"];
var FB_list = ["cs_CZ", "en_US", "pt_BR", "it_IT" ];
var lang2;

var Q_lang = document.documentElement.lang;
var i = Q_list.indexOf(Q_lang);
lang2 = FB_list[i];

return lang2;
}

function updateLike(URL){
var lang = "en_US";
lang = getLang();

var likeDiv = '<div class="fb-like" data-href="' + URL
+ '" data-width="600" data-layout="button_count" data-action="like" data-size="small" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true"></div>';

jQuery('#scriptDiv').html('<script async defer crossorigin="anonymous" src="https://connect.facebook.net/'+ lang + '/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v3.0"></script>');
jQuery(".lajklitko").html(likeDiv);
FB.XFBML.parse();
}

});
icon

Best answer by fleb 16 August 2019, 14:27

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Finally, I found someone who solved this.
The problem was that the FB initializing script checks whether there already is a FB object and if so it doesn't create a new one. Inserting `FB = undefined` before loading new scipt solved this.

Leave a Reply