Dropdown answers in-line with question text | XM Community
Solved

Dropdown answers in-line with question text

• 27 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Does anyone know how to have a dropdown list of answer choices appear in-line with the the text of a question? Like Madlibs! I'm trying to come close to the TOFHLA (a metric for health literacy assessment), an example is the bottom half of Fig 7 on this webpage: https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/566053_5

I think the best way for me to replicate this in Qualtrics is with an in-line dropdown answer box replacing the blank. Any idea how to do that? Or a different suggestion?
icon

Best answer by IanO 28 August 2019, 21:06

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I don't have an answer to this, but I've seen it before and I hope someone answers you, Qualtrics builds a user case on it, and we all can benefit from your question.
I put in a support ticket but unfortunately all I got was the answer below. I think my workaround will be to use the Hot Spot feature and use an image with hot spots drawn around the appropriate answer choices. As best as I understand it though the validation for this type of question won't work 100% for my intended use - in other words participants can be restricted to only 5 (or whatever 😵 answers total on the image but I can't discriminate between someone picking 1 answer for each of the 5 blanks versus picking 2 answers for a blank, 1 each for the next 3 blanks, and no answer for the final blank.

Oh well.

"Thank you for reaching Qualtrics Support!

After analyzing different possibilities for your request, I couldn't find a solution to your problem.
I also tried to research a workaround that could let you display the question in a similar way but, unfortunately, it seems that there's not a similar functionality on Qualtrics.

I believe that this could be a feature that many other users could find helpful in the future, so I'd like to file a feature request for it. However, this doesn't mean that a similar question type will be available soon and it also doesn't guarantee that the feature will be developed.

Given the long times for the feature requests, I believe that the best solutions for you would be changing the structure of your question.

I'm sorry that I can not be more helpful.

If you have any questions or you'd like any type of assistance, please let me know!"
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
This is what I want!!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
It is possible to build this type of question with JavaScript. See the example I posted here:
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/4074/custom-fill-in-the-blank-drop-down-questions#Comment_12713

Alternatively, you can contact me if you are willing to help offset development costs.
Userlevel 4
Badge +18
Hi MaryC,

That is feasible. Create all those questions on same page and adjust respective positions by css and javascript.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@TomG and @KimothiSaurabh,

I wish I knew CSS and Java, but I do not.

Leave a Reply