Text Anchoring? | XM Community
Solved

Text Anchoring?

• 9 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello, I need to add some kind of text anchor so that a participant can hover over a term in my survey and see the definitions. Or, they can click a link that says for the definitions, click here. How can I add this so that they do not get re-routed in the survey? I believe text anchoring will work but I'm not clear on how to set it up. Thanks
icon

Best answer by TomG 10 September 2019, 16:33

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
What you are asking about is referred to as a "tooltip." You can add a basic tooltip by adding a title attribute to a html tag.
```
<span title="Definition of term">Term</span>
```
Search the community for the term tooltip and you'll find information on implementing more advanced tooltips (formatted, mobile responsive, etc.)
TomG, thanks for this info. I imagine you are correct but I have limited expertise in the HTML side. So, can you explain how I would attach it to a word written within the survey text? Sorry if this is elementary. For example, below is the line I wish the attach the tags to, specifically to the words "Short Term" "Intermediate Term" and "Long Term". Is this set up correct?

Where then would I write the terms that would pop up? Thanks for your help!

Do you want to stay in the same strategies or make a change? To Review the strategies again, hover over the name below.

!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @BridgetUT said:
> TomG, thanks for this info. I imagine you are correct but I have limited expertise in the HTML side. So, can you explain how I would attach it to a word written within the survey text? Sorry if this is elementary. For example, below is the line I wish the attach the tags to, specifically to the words "Short Term" "Intermediate Term" and "Long Term". Is this set up correct?
>
> Where then would I write the terms that would pop up? Thanks for your help!
>
>
> Do you want to stay in the same strategies or make a change? To Review the strategies again, hover over the name below.
>
> !
>
I think you want:
```
<span title="Short term pop up text">Short Term</span>
<span title="Intermediate term pop up text">Intermediate Term</span>
<span title="Long term pop up text">Long Term</span>
```
Change span to div if you want them on separate lines.
ok i see thank you... now where do i write the pop up text for each?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Re> @BridgetUT said:
> ok i see thank you... now where do i write the pop up text for each?

Replace "Short term pop up text" with the pop text you want displayed when the respondent hovers over "Short Term".
Ah got it. Thanks so much!

Leave a Reply