Collecting date of birth in MM/YYYY format | XM Community
Solved

Collecting date of birth in MM/YYYY format

• 13 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Is there a way to format a text entry question so it looks like a form for entering month and year of birth? My respondents have a wide age range. Flatpicker involves too many clicks. I want it to look like a form - like this:

_ _ / _ _ _ _
And I also want it to validate the format so there are no missing values and that dates are within the past 80 years.

How do I do this?
icon

Best answer by TomG 13 September 2019, 19:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@CMJS_RA1 check out the built in date questions from the Qualtrics Library. There is a matrix one that can be formatted close to what you want. You may have to edit the response options and delete a column for exactly what you want to do.

In survey Editor
1. Click Import Questions From
2. Choose Qualtrics Library
3. Click Survey Library
4. Click Demographics
5. Click Calendar & Date Questions
6. Then the middle one is close to the format you want, but I like the third format for mobile better.
Badge +1
This doesn't seem to do what I want. It displays a calendar which I do not want and I am not sure how to get it to validate for MM/YYYY. It validates for a MM/DD/YYYY. Any suggestion?
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Hmmm that's odd because when I load it, it has three variables Month, Date, Year (no calendar).
You fill in the columns one at a time. Because they are drop down boxes no validation is needed. And it would be very easy to edit it for the last 80 years by clicking on JS and changing varFirst = 1939 and varLast = 2019.

!

You could recreate what Qualtrics is doing in it's built-in imports by creating a side-by-side. Column 1:
* Click to write Column 1: click and type "month"
* Column Options: set to - drop down list
* Click here to edit items... : click and put in values 01, 02, 03... (I would hit enter after each value you input so it's still staying in answer 1 options)

Column 2:
* Click to write Column 1: click and type "month"
* Column Options: set to - drop down list
* Click here to edit items... : click and put in values for the years (it is tedious but gives you the control you want)
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@CMJS_RA1,

Someone else asked an almost identical question last month. Here was my reply:
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/16548#Comment_16548

I updated the demo so the min is 80 years ago.
Userlevel 3
Badge

@bstrahin 

This is a perfect method. I just need to change the descriptions of question. The format is the exactly what I want.

Leave a Reply