Using Display Logic for categories of answers on a multiple select question | XM Community
Solved

Using Display Logic for categories of answers on a multiple select question

• 13 September 2019
  • 1 reply

I am writing a multiple-choice, multiple answer question with 27 possible selections. These selections will be carried forward into a follow-up question related to the importance of that selection to the respondent. (I should also note that I have several sets of questions like this).

For readability, I would like to be able to group the answers by category, so that the selections only display if the top-level category is selected. So in the example below, if the respondent-checks the top-level "Income", the four additional responses related to income will be revealed.

o Income
o Need for income following a job loss.
o Need to limit income to maintain benefits such as Medicaid or SSDI.
o Need to supplement income following retirement.
o Need to supplement other forms of income.

Qualtrix will let me set display logic on each potential answer to show only if a specific item is checked within the question. However,
1. when I use "preview question," it shows me all the answers regardless of what is checked.
2. when I use "preview survey", it only shows me the top-level answers, and doesn't reveal the sub-level questions when an option is checked.

Can anyone tell me what this will actually do once the survey is published? Does anyone know an elegant solution for what I am trying to accomplish?
(I have done this in the past on a different platform, so I am hopeful that there is a solution to this.)
icon

Best answer by TomG 14 September 2019, 04:35

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
When the survey is published you will see the same behavior as "preview survey."

Display logic gets applied at the server before the page is sent to the browser. So, display logic isn't going to help you (i.e., if the choices aren't on the page to start, they never will be).

Qualtrics doesn't natively have the functionality you described. You would have to write JavaScript to enable that behavior.

Leave a Reply