survey with multipart questions | XM Community
Solved

survey with multipart questions

• 8 October 2019
  • 8 replies

How do I write a survey that asks 20 questions, each like this:

Q1: "is this a question?"
(a) On a scale of 1 (completely uninteresting) to 5 (very interesting), how interesting a question is this? [Likert scale reply from 1 to 5]
(b) yes/no? [binary reply]
(c) can you suggest a better version of this question? [free text]

Thank you,

Colin
icon

Best answer by TomG 14 October 2019, 15:30

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Use a Side-by-side question type.
Thanks TomG.

I attach an example of the first question created using Side-by-side. Thus, for each of the three sub-questions, I want only one column displayed (I've crossed the others out in red).

Can I do that?

!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You kind of missed the point. The sub questions are the columns, and the “questions” are the rows.
Personally, I avoid side-by-side questions because they aren’t mobile friendly, but you specifically asked how to combine multiple questions into one. If it were me, I would make the “question” descriptive text followed by three separate questions and put them in a loop & merge block.

Thanks TomG.

I think I'm on track again: I've set up three questions per block, and then just copied the block manually 19 more times. (From what I saw of 'loop & merge', it seemed to enable dependence between questions and answers, which I didn't need.)

The result is here: !

I still need to display the block description. At present, the survey just displays Q1.1, Q1.2 and Q1.3, but not the "should drugs be legalised?" question. Is there any easy way to do this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Add a descriptive text question before Q1.1 with the text "Should drugs be legalised?"

Loop & merge would have saved you some effort. You could have done it in one block and piped in the "question" text. Actually, it would save still you effort because now you'll have to add 19 descriptive text questions (one to each block).
Thanks TomG. Descriptive text added.

I'm good to go. It would be really nice if I could randomly display the first 20 blocks, but not the questions within them. (The 21st block asks a wrap-up question.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Put the 20 blocks in a survey flow randomizer.

thanks TomG - and for giving me some insight into how powerful Qualtrics is: I'm beginning to understand

Leave a Reply