Security and Gift Cards | XM Community
Solved

Security and Gift Cards

• 9 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello all,

I am using Qualtrics to collect data for my dissertation. I am not collecting identifiable information from participants, but they have the option to receive a gift card in exchange for participation. My university's Institutional Review Board approved my study based on the understanding that a participant's email address (used for receipt of the gift card) will not be connected to their survey responses. To accomplish this, I created a separate Google Form where participants could submit their email address for the gift card. The link displays at the end of my survey. Unfortunately, after trying to recruit participants via Facebook, I quickly realized that there are some dishonest folks out there, as the link to the Google Form must have been shared and abused. The number of responses for the gift card is vastly disproportionate to the number of actual survey responses. (I have since paused data collection until I figure out a solution.)

I am happy to forgo using Google and work within Qualtrics to collect the email addresses for compensation. I thought about creating a separate Qualtrics survey just for submission of email addresses for gift cards, but I worry that the link will similarly be abused. I could require a password to access the gift card survey/form, but I worry that those dishonest folks will just share the password. Is there a way to create a unique link or password for each participant?

TL;DR I want to ensure those requesting gift cards have actually completed the survey but I cannot have email addresses connected to survey responses.

Does anybody have a solution to this? My only other thought was requiring users to submit a screenshot of the completion screen, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible, as it may require me to jump through more hoops with my university's IRB.

Also, I noticed that you can at a Captcha question to a survey. My understanding of bots is somewhat limited, so I'm wondering if you recommend I do this? And where in the survey would it be best to include the Captcha?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
icon

Best answer by LaurenK 10 October 2019, 20:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hi @leh196! Have you reviewed the Creating an Anonymized Raffle common use case support page? It may help you get started!
Hi @LaurenK,

Thank you for your response. I reviewed that support page, and while the idea of redirecting to a separate URL seems promising, I still worry that dishonest folks will copy the URL from the URL bar and abuse the survey by sharing with friends. Is there a way to mask/cloak a survey URL so that participants see something different in the URL bar (e.g., just www.qualtrics.com)?

I did have one other idea. I noticed that you can set a security condition so that a respondent must come from a particular URL. Using the option to redirect to a separate survey for the gift cards, is it possible to specify that a respondent must come from the original, initial survey to reach the second, separate survey? I’m hoping this would then ensure that only those who completed the original survey could access the separate survey.

Thanks again for your help!

Leave a Reply