API to ignore Opt-out status? | XM Community
Question

API to ignore Opt-out status?

• 9 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi All,

I am running a series of API calls to essentially create a survey link used in our student portal for our students to take an end of class survey. The problem I am running into is that if the student has opted out of the directory previously, they are not able to take the survey because a link will not be generated due to opt out even though they are choosing to take the survey (essentially opting into that survey). Is there any way to do this through an API? These are the API calls I am using in this order.

1. Create a New Response (This is the Distribution Survey)
2. Create a contact in the mailing list
3. Create a contact transaction
4. Create a transaction batch
5. Generate Transaction Batch Distribution Links
6. Run List Transactional Distribution Links

Thanks,
Mike

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
One workaround would be a quick contact filter to search for students that have Opted Out and then opt them in.!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
@SAustin thank you for the reply. The survey is run by a different group in our organization that teaches Education classes and we often do not know the contacts until they are already in the class and trying to take the survey, which at that point it is too late. We also do not want to opt them into the entire directory since they have opted out of our email surveys, just want to opt them into the education survey. They are choosing to take the survey at the end of the class, which is in a sense, opting into the survey, but just that survey. Ideally there would be a way to opt the contact into only that contact list when the API call is made, but I don't think that is possible.

Leave a Reply