Customize "Survey already completed" message | XM Community
Question

Customize "Survey already completed" message

• 9 October 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
I've been asked to change the "You have either already completed the survey or your session has expired" message that people get when trying to reuse a unique survey link. Basically, we want to give anyone who has gotten a hold of someone's unique link the opportunity to complete the survey using the anonymous link, which we would like to include in a customized "you've already finished this survey" message. Is this even possible?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi @psanders, Yes this is feasible. You can add custom survey end messages under Survey Termination heading in Survey Options Tab. Below is the screenshot for your persual.

!
Badge +2
Thank you for your response, @Eesh. However, I am not trying to customize the end of survey message. I am trying to customize the message a participant receives if they click on a unique survey link that has already been used. The message that reads, "You have either already completed the survey or your session has expired".
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thanks psanders for clarifying. There is an alternative, however this may involve javascript code and this approach will work for new respondents and those who haven't submitted the responses yet. The reason behind this is the functionality of Qualtrics where any change made to survey will only be reflected to those who haven't completed the survey.

Please add below code in header and add your message below :
jQuery('.SystemEndOfSurvey').text('this is the update');

Hope this helps!
Badge +2
@psanders In Survey Options you can select Show a custom message when a respondent revisits a previously completed link. You can upload the message in your message library.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/22517#Comment_22517ttaggart / Eesh Hi, I've just used this suggestion so thanks for that. However, I'd like to keep count of the number of people clicking on the link twice. Is there a way to record this? Perhaps some javascript in the message itself. Can you do something like:

var n = Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.getEmbeddedData('n');
n = n + 1;
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData('n', n);}
}
But would this only work within the normal survey and a survey flow that set's up 'n' as an embedded item?

Thanks in advance

Rod

Badge +1

Eesh , ttaggart
I would also like to customize that message, but the code doesn't seem to work for me (even after re-entering the survey). It might be because I don't want to prevent participants from re-using their link.
What I'm trying to achieve is a custom message sent to partial completes when I manually close the survey. (I'll be using my "survey" as an exam, and would like to send students their score even when the timer runs out - which will be me closing the survey after 90 mins. The full completes will receive their score on the End of survey page, but the partials won't be directed to that page.)
I tagged you in case you had some insight into this, as you've dealt with the customization of that message before.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

HI All,

Qualtrics support came back to me with a (partial) solution but it meant that a second response would be created in the survey, which is not what I wanted as it would impact stats or dashboard analysis that someone might do without realising that they need to filter out these spurious empty responses. This would not be advisable in my opinion to rely on requiring a filter like that be applied each time. For your info, it used an authentication route in the survey flow which then had the option of controlling this 'second' response. You had to change the survey link type to multiple instead of individual as well. I'm wondering if a web service could be used or something similar that could perhaps amend a field of an existing response. I wouldn't know how to do this though.

If anyone has any suggestions, please reply back :)

Thanks

Rod

Leave a Reply