Stated Preference Survey in Qualtrics | XM Community
Solved

Stated Preference Survey in Qualtrics

• 17 October 2019
  • 7 replies

I am a researcher from Denmark. I am quite new to Qualtrics. I would like to do a stated-preference survey for my research. I have already generated the experimental design with the scenarios using the conjoint analysis. So, my intention is to only present these identified scenarios to respondents. I have 16 scenarios in total- of which 5 will be presented randomly to the participants. Could you please suggest how this can be achieved?

I was looking for some documentation on the same. But, I couldn't find them. Could you please direct me to the same?

If I have already identified the scenarios, should I use the "Conjoint Projects" add on package of Qualtrics?
icon

Best answer by TomG 18 October 2019, 00:46

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Hi @vishnub87!

Will respondents select their preference using a multiple-choice style question or something else? If it is multiple-choice, here is an option to consider to randomly display 5 of the 16 scenarios as choices:

1. When you are creating a list of respondents that will take the survey, create a column in the spreadsheet (e.g., 'Scenario Flag) that contains 5 of the 16 scenarios randomly selected. For example, one possible value might be '1, 3, 5, 12, 16'. When you import the respondents into Qualtrics as Contacts, this field will be stored with the respondent's other information such as name, email, etc.

2. In your survey, create an embedded data field at the very top of the Survey Flow that will pull the 'Scenario Flag' value into the survey to be used to condition the display of the scenario choices to the respondent.

3. Create a question with 16 answer choices for the 16 scenarios and use Display Logic to only display choices (scenarios) that the respondent has been assigned in the 'Scenario Flag' field. A screenshot to illustrate has been attached below.

Let me know if that helps!!

!
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@vishnub87,

If it is a multiple choice question, you can use Advanced Randomization to randomly display 5 of the 16 choices to each respondent. Check "Evenly Present" so all 16 get equal exposure to your sample.
> @TomG said:
> @vishnub87,
>
> If it is a multiple choice question, you can use Advanced Randomization to randomly display 5 of the 16 choices to each respondent. Check "Evenly Present" so all 16 get equal exposure to your sample.

Thank you for the suggestion. This worked.
> @"keir.johnson@commonfont.com" said:
> !
>

Thank you for the suggestion. But, for my problem, the suggestion from @TomG was simple and provided the results I wanted.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
@vishnub87 - Glad it worked! TomG's solution is certainly more simple. If you wanted to maintain a record of which of the 16 possible answer choices were seen by each respondent, then my suggestion would be applicable. Thanks!
> @"keir.johnson@commonfont.com" said:
> @vishnub87 - Glad it worked! TomG's solution is certainly more simple. If you wanted to maintain a record of which of the 16 possible answer choices were seen by each respondent, then my suggestion would be applicable. Thanks!

@"keir.johnson@commonfont.com" Sure. Thank you. To meet the current requirements, this should be fine. I will work more on it and should I require some additional information, I will reach out.

Leave a Reply