Hide last four columns on a radio button rank order question | XM Community
Question

Hide last four columns on a radio button rank order question

• 17 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hi,

I had a similar problem a while ago and unfortunately never found a solution. I want to ask people out of seven options, what their top three preferences are. I don't want them selecting multiple options at the same value (eg all 'first' in preference), and I don't want to make them rank all seven options. This needs to be a short, quick, approachable marketing survey.

I've tried code I found online, adjusting for column number, but I can't make it work:
>Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
> $("QR~QID14~7~0").up().hide();
>});

A picture to demonstrate what I'm trying to accomplish:

!

Any help is appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out! Matrix and Lickert options don't work, as they all allow multiple options to have the same value.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37
Would a Pick Group and Rank question, with just one box ("Top 3") work?

You would need to Force Response and set Validation to Enforce 3 entries. (And obviously, you need to tell people to drag their top 3 from the list at left to the box at right and order with Most Desired as #1.

Not optimal for all needs... but it was all I could think of to make it do what you want in a pinch. Hopefully others will have thoughts as well.
Try to use the below setting. this might help you
!
Badge
> @CarolK said:
> Would a Pick Group and Rank question, with just one box ("Top 3") work?
>
> You would need to Force Response and set Validation to Enforce 3 entries. (And obviously, you need to tell people to drag their top 3 from the list at left to the box at right and order with Most Desired as #1.
>
> Not optimal for all needs... but it was all I could think of to make it do what you want in a pinch. Hopefully others will have thoughts as well.

While a possibility, it's asking a lot from the respondent. We're wanting this to be as simple and quick as possible.
Badge
> @PrashantAhire said:
> Try to use the below setting. this might help you
> !
>

I don't want to allow people to select more than one at first preference, etc. A MAtrix grid doesn't allow for forcing a unique configuration
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have exactly the same question as HWYoung. Found another post where the following javascript code was suggested, but can't get it to work.
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .c7").hide()
How exactly should I enter this code in the structure below? Anyone?
Schermafbeelding 2020-11-03 om 22.10.58.pngI've tried the following, but still all columns are displayed...
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{ jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .c7").hide() });

Leave a Reply