Randomization and Display Logic | XM Community
Solved

Randomization and Display Logic

• 25 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I am struggling to create a question using randomization and display logic and I was hoping for some help. I have an Brand Awareness question with 7 brands.

I then have a follow up question that I want to be repeated for each brand they are aware of but for a maximum of two brands. So if they select all 7 brands, they will only see 2 follow up questions.

If they select Brand A and Brand B, I want the two question follow up questions to be for Brand A and Brand B.

If they select either Brand A or Brand B, I want them to be asked the question for that brand and one of the remaining brands.

If they select neither Brand A or Brand B, I want them to be asked the follow up question a maximum of twice for the remaining.

The way I initially thought to do this was to place display logic on each follow up question and randomize them in the survey flow. The problem is that randomization does not take into account display logic, so it will include those brands that haven't been selected and the display logic will skip them.

Is there anyway I can setup the logic on these questions?
icon

Best answer by TomG 28 October 2019, 13:34

View original

6 replies

Badge
Peter are you trying to randomize questions or responses (brands) for a question? If you want to randomize the brands on that question, do that in the Survey. If you want to randomize questions, then may need to develop blocks and randomize questions ahead of that block and after it, but leave a block together for the brand and display options that go with it. Feel free to reach out if you need more help.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi @CThompson, thanks for your response but I don't quite understand. I am trying to randomize a subset of questions but I don't know how to do it when the questions I have also contain display logic.
Badge
Ok, so let's say you have 10 questions and #4 is the question that has the display logic. One way would be to randomize questions 1-3 and 5-10 and leave #4 our of the randomization. You can accomplish this by having 3 blocks. Block 1 for Question 1-3, Block 2 for Question #4 and Block 3 for Questions 5-10. Then randomize Blocks 1 and 3. Hope this helps.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don't think this would work because they all have display logic, based on the awareness question up front
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Peter_Furness,

Two approaches:
1. If the follow-up questions are generally the same you can use a loop & merge based on your awareness question. Randomize the loop and present only two loops. You can pipe in differences in question text etc. by adding additional loop & merge fields.
2. If the follow-up questions are completely different, put the questions in different blocks, use a survey flow randomizer, and put the questions inside branches where the branch logic replaces the display logic. Set the randomizer to present only two of the seven.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks @TomG , I tried out the second option and it has worked. I didn't think to use branch logic within the randomizer as I assumed it would randomize those blocks as well.

I went with the second option as I think it will be easier to analyse without having identify which brand was piped into the question text.

Leave a Reply