Distributing to a specific sub-group of a contact list | XM Community
Question

Distributing to a specific sub-group of a contact list

• 1 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello - I am running a trial where people sign up through an initial survey that adds to a contact list. I then use this contact list to distribute a second survey by email and which I also want to send automatic reminders for. My problem is that the time of distribution of the second survey depends on when people sign up for the initial survey so I cannot distribute the survey to the entire list at the same time. At the moment I am distributing links and setting reminders on an individual basis but this is very labour intensive. As people tend to sign up in batches I could distribute and set reminders to sub-groups of the contact list but I cannot work out how to set up these sub-groups. I have looked at creating a sample from a contact list by setting conditions to match on each participant's unique id which I have in embedded data. This does not seem to give me what I want - I suspect this is because the sample is being selected at random rather than giving me everyone who matches the conditions.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
What if you created an embedded data category, "Date Completed". That would allow you to at least pull in batches more effectively. It would still be a manual process, but you could more easily pull for "completed last week" than pulling them one at a time.

!
I'm afraid that I didn't explain myself very well!

As an example:-

I want to send an email with a link to a survey to Bob, Jack and Peter on the 4th of November.

I want to send another email with a link to the same survey to Jennifer and David on the 15th of November.

I want to do the same for Dyfed and Gemma on the 28th of November.

All the above people are on the same contact list. At the moment I am sending each email individually. Is there a quicker and easier way of doing this?

And thank you for yor input!
Userlevel 4
Badge +20
@Uma did you ever solve for this? I am running into the same obstacle and am creating multiple contact lists to overcome this...
No - I have come to the conclusion that Qualtrics is not really designed to do this and multiple contact lists is the only way to go - but almost as much work as doing each person separately!
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
What if the initial sign-up survey includes an embedded data field like "FollowUpSurveySent" equal to N. Your second survey would make sure FollowUpSurveySent=N before you display the questions. After they complete the 2nd survey, you set that embedded data field to Y. If you have XM directory you could set up an automation to do this pretty easily (even setting the recipients to filter via the embedded data). The only limitation with this would be if someone did not complete the survey, you would not have changed the embedded data field.

Leave a Reply