How can I save different sections in a survey separately? | XM Community

How can I save different sections in a survey separately?

• 1 November 2019
  • 3 replies

For my survey, I want to save responses in different sections (blocks) to different data files in Qualtrics. For example, I want to keep participants' email address separate from their actual responses to the survey. So, I can separate identifiable information (e.g., email addresses) from survey responses. Participants will take the same survey, but their responses will be saved or exported to two separate data files in Qualtrics. How can I achieve this goal?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi @Roy assuming you are mostly wanting to keep personally identifiable info separate from survey responses, I would administer your survey through an email distribution, but turn on the survey setting to anonymize responses. This should allow you to access a list of your respondents who have taken the survey, with their names and email addresses, but it won't be attached to their actual responses. Would that solve the problem?

Alternatively, you can program your blocks into separate surveys and have the end of each survey redirect to the beginning of the next one. That way, responses across question sets won't be linked.

Dear ClairJ ,
I just came across your second solution to create separate surveys. How can I ensure that participants have the same ID across surveys so that I can link the responses? Would I need to ask participants to enter their ID in the new survey (which risks loosing data due to mistakes)?
Thank you for clarifying.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi EvaS I don't know a good way to do this, but if you want the responses to be linked, why not just collect them in one survey? If they need to be separated into different data sets, that can be done pretty easily in Excel. And separate reports can be set up within Qualtrics.

Leave a Reply