How to set default choices for a coded question based off answers to a previous question | XM Community
Question

How to set default choices for a coded question based off answers to a previous question

• 4 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi,

I have a likert matrix question that is asked once and then repeated two more times. I want to see if their answers change under two different scenarios and I want the answers from the first likert matrix question to be set as the default choices for the second two.

Unfortunately I can't pipe in coded responses. Does anyone know of a way of setting coded responses as default choices?

Thanks,
Pete

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11
Have you tried with the "Carry Forward Choices" option?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Peter_Furness,

Use JS on the follow-up matrix. Pipe the selected choices from the first Matrix into the script. Find the input radio buttons for the selected choices and click them.

If you have the previous button enabled, first make sure there aren't any answers selected so you don't undo any changes if someone goes back.
Userlevel 1
Badge
> @AxelS said:
> Have you tried with the "Carry Forward Choices" option?

Unfortunately the 'Carry Forward Choices' option will display the rows that that selected, not the answers they gave.

> @TomG said:
> @Peter_Furness,
>
> Use JS on the follow-up matrix. Pipe the selected choices from the first Matrix into the script. Find the input radio buttons for the selected choices and click them.
>
> If you have the previous button enabled, first make sure there aren't any answers selected so you don't undo any changes if someone goes back.

Thanks Tom. I'm not that familiar with Javascript to know how to do that from scratch. Would you be able to show me the syntax?

Thanks,
Pete
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
FWIW I just added a feature idea that I think would help with this. I don't think you should have to know JS to set default choices for non-text based on embedded data or previous responses.

Leave a Reply