How to set a custom validation for the sum of multiple choice selected counts | XM Community
Question

How to set a custom validation for the sum of multiple choice selected counts

• 4 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello, this question seems rather simple, but I am new to qualtrics and am having a difficult time.

I am trying making a survey that offers a user four "multiple choice, multiple answer, column, graphic" questions within one block.

I want a user to select a set number of total responses out of the total number of choices that are provided in the block of questions.

i.e. Please Select 5 total choices:

Block 1
* Question 1: 4 choices
* Question 2: 8 choices
* Question 3: 5 choices
* Question 4: 3 choices

I can't figure out how to make a custom validation so that the sum of the selected count is equal to the set number I am asking for. If you have a solution, please let me know. thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@plev - Can you elaborate the intended function a bit more. This post doesn't make sense to me.
It is important for the survey I am trying to build that each choice is defined by the parameter of the group it is presented in:

For example:

"Choose 3 fruits to make a your ideal Fruit Salad:"

Orchard Fruits
* apple
* pear
* peach

Tropical Fruits
* pineapple
* mango
* guava

Citrus Fruits
* lemon
* grapefruit
* orange

I hope this helps? Thank you for such a fast response.
Yes, it is possible. Here, you have to make all the possible combination which can satisfy and implement the same in the validation.

1) Show all the questions 1-4 in one page
2) Remove force response tick from all the questions
3) Now in the validation of Question 1 you have make all possible combinations.

For example I've shared a screenshot here but i've used 2 questions where the counts of answers should be equal to 3.

!

You need to create the same combination to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@plev,

You can greatly simplify this if you put all the choices in one question and assign the choices to 4 groups.
@TomG
Thank you! It doesn't seem to allow groups for choices in the "Multiple Choice - Multiple Answer, Graphic Column" questions, but by changing the the format to "Multiple Choice" it works perfectly.

Leave a Reply