Fixed Question Randomization Order Per Participant | XM Community
Question

Fixed Question Randomization Order Per Participant

• 6 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi all --

Here's what I'm trying to do. My survey has multiple blocks, and each block has 3 identical questions but different descriptive texts on the top. I want the order of questions to be randomized *per participant*, i,e. different participants should see different question orders, but each participant should see the same question order in every block. I can't use loop & merge because the formatting in the descriptive texts are not consistent.

Any help will be appreciated!

3 replies

@aaroniidx could you please elaborate a bit- may be with an example
Say each participant is presented with 10 scenarios, for each scenario the participant will be asked some permutation of questions A, B, and C.

I want the order of A, B, and C randomized across participants, but consistent within each participant. So e.g., participant 1 will always see B, C, A, and participant 2 will always see C, A, B...etc.
You could try the following:-

1. Create a "randomiser" before this section where you present the 10 scenarios to the respondents.
2. After this randomiser, create an embedded variable named "Random" that takes 6 values 1, 2, ... 6
3. After this section, create 6 branches using "then branch if" that creates cases for each of the six values of "Random" variable
4. Create blocks in the specific order below each of these branches

So, you will have copies of the 10 scenarios in the orders you prefer

This is probably a crude way, but could solve your issue.

Leave a Reply