How to Display Participant Responses to Looping Question | XM Community
Question

How to Display Participant Responses to Looping Question

• 12 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I am developing a survey where people need to provide their reasons for/against doing something, before making a decision on if they would do it. This has been established through a looping through 20 different scenarios.

We also want to establish the valence of these reasons (how positive/negative was the reason you gave), but feel that asking them to do this before the decision is made may be a confound.

Therefore, we ideally want to now show each subject the reasons they gave, for each scenario, one at a time, so they can rate them.

I know that I can pipe text through a question response, but since the response is based on a loop, it only gives me the option of specifying which iteration I want to display: !

This leads to the piped text following a format of: !.

Ideally, I would be able to have this in a nested format, where I use field1 as a set of 1:20 (all possible scenarios) and then nest this into the display:

${q://{${lm://Field/1}_QID296/ChoiceTextEntryValue}, where this bolded section would loop from 1:20 while it displayed each reason.

I know that I cannot nest piped text in this way, so I was wondering if there was a "work around", instead of requiring me to make 20 questions, each displaying the reason given for that iteration of the loop.

Please let me know if you have any ideas/solutions, or if you require more information to help answer the question.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
If you are asking the question within the loop, you can just pipe the value for the current loop. I believe it is at the end of the piped values list. Anyway, it is the same pipe without the loop number.
Could you say a bit more about this? I know I can pipe a loop value, but I don't know how that will help me either.

Each subject is shown 20 scenarios and provide reasons for/against these. These 20 scenarios run through a loop. When I choose to pipe the text responses to these questions, I'm only given the option of selecting responses to one iteration. I'm wondering if there is any way I can alter this so that I can display all 20 responses in a single question, rather than making 20 questions, each displaying a subject's response to a single iteration.

Since I can't nest piping, I'm confused as to how I could do this by piping the loop value into anything.

Sorry if I'm missing the point, I'm a Qubie!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @WillScott66 said:
> Could you say a bit more about this? I know I can pipe a loop value, but I don't know how that will help me either.
>
> Each subject is shown 20 scenarios and provide reasons for/against these. These 20 scenarios run through a loop. When I choose to pipe the text responses to these questions, I'm only given the option of selecting responses to one iteration. I'm wondering if there is any way I can alter this so that I can display all 20 responses in a single question, rather than making 20 questions, each displaying a subject's response to a single iteration.
>
> Since I can't nest piping, I'm confused as to how I could do this by piping the loop value into anything.
>
> Sorry if I'm missing the point, I'm a Qubie!
My suggestion was to ask the follow-up question (the one that you pipe the text response into) WITHIN the loop & merge block. That way you can pipe in the current loop value: ${q://QID296/ChoiceTextEntryValue}

If you want to ask the follow-up question OUTSIDE the loop & merge block, then you have to pipe all 20 answers into your follow-up question separately: ${q://1_QID296/ChoiceTextEntryValue}, ${q://2_QID296/ChoiceTextEntryValue}, ... ${q://20_QID296/ChoiceTextEntryValue}.

It might help if you told us what your follow-up question is and what you want it to look like.

Leave a Reply