Has anyone done any work to integrate Qualtrics and Canvas? | XM Community

Has anyone done any work to integrate Qualtrics and Canvas?

• 14 November 2019
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
We have a department moving their learning management system to Instructure Canvas. They use Qualtrics quite often in their classes and would like to integrate it with Canvas. Has anyone done any work to integrate Canvas and Qualtrics? I'm assuming it would be through APIs

10 replies

Badge +2
Suggestion - check with your Qualtrics AE to see if their QClassroom solution would help. QClassroom is an offering that seamlessly delivers course evaluations based on learning management tools. Qualtrics has integrated a few platforms like Canvas to support this solution. Canvas may be on the list of what they have tackled. There may be something Qualtrics can offer to help your use-case.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
@UgamIC_Christine Thanks! I'll ask.
Badge +5
Yes, I use Qualtrics for Exams with the anonymous link included in a Canvas assignment. The survey uses SSO so I get the userid of the student taking the exam/survey. At survey termination, instead of a canned message, I redirect to a URL, which, in my case, is a python script running on AWS. The script logs the completion and generates a "receipt" (that includes the Qualtrics response ID) to display to the user. Then it looks up that user's Canvas ID (using a CSV I uploaded to AWS) and generates an API call that masquerades as that submitting user and does an assignment submission. The "submission" is just a text string that is an encoded version of the url link to the script to request the receipt.

The survey configuration is done with embedded fields that includes the Canvas course number and assignment number, both of which are needed to configure the API call.

The net result is that after the student submits the Qualtrics survey, they see a confirmation receipt on their screen but, in the background, the assignment [which is created with grade: complete/incomplete and submitting: Website URL] is marked complete. That takes the assignment off the "To Do" list.

Qualtrics had a Canvas integration a few years ago that got pulled for a variety of legitimate reasons. The code I wrote is sort of a hack that I created in response to them dropping the ball.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Thanks!
Badge +1

For everyone in this channel, it might be worthwhile to have a look at the Qualtrics LTI integration that Drieam developed for Canvas LMS: https://www.drieam.com/qualtrics.
As an Instructure as well as a Qualtrics partner, we aim to leverage the great functionalities of both platforms. Qualtrics LTI allows Canvas users to make Qualtrics surveys part of the learning experience in Canvas. Use cases include a.o. course & faculty evaluations, information request and adaptive knowledge tests/quizzes.

Badge

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/20301#Comment_20301Would you share your code?

James Hello! I was wondering if you were willing to share the code you reference here?
Buffm Did you end up finding a method?

Badge

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/20301#Comment_20301I'm also interested in finding out more about how you did this. At my university we use canvas and would like to launch a survey for students taking a particular course and not have to ask them to enter their ID, we do use SSO in Canvas. If you can share your code, it would greatly help us.

I sincerely appreciate it

Jorge

Badge +5

It is my intention to post my code on github but I have not had a chance to clean up my code yet. Meantime, I can share the guts of it with anyone who messages me directly. For the integration to work, you will need a public-facing server that runs python3.

Badge

I haven't been able to make the Canvas/Qualtrics integration work. So far, all I know is I spent $1000 on an LTI module I was given to understand would do the trick - only to then be directed at another program from DRIEAM that will do what I need, but will cost about the same as my Qualtrics license. (leaving, as you might imagine, a bad taste in my mouth for the sales team that sold me on the LTI). Based on the demo, anyone with money to spend will likely be able to make it work. Sadly, it's not in our budget right now.
We're looking into other options - including deriving the info we need from applications and shelving this particular survey entirely.

Leave a Reply