Organize hundreds of choices in a multi select box | XM Community
Question

Organize hundreds of choices in a multi select box

• 21 November 2019
  • 8 replies

I have hundreds of choices that can be grouped into 8 categories for one question. Participants are supposed to multi-select several choices in the list. I chose to use a multi-select box so that participants can both select and enter the choices they want, but the feature of multi select box does not allow me to make an choice exclude (i.e., if participants chose "none," they can still select other choices). Additionally, as the list is too long, it tends to be biased to the choices at top of the list.

Is it possible to make the choice groups clickable so that the question would show the choice groups at first (e.g., with a small "+" button behind to indicate it is expandable) and whenever they are clicked, it will expand to show corresponding choices in that specific group? Or does anyone have any innovative ideas to display these choices?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Use select2. Here is an example.
@TomG The link doesn't work for me somehow. Could you please send again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @UR_3CdjWCniGGlJlhX said:
> @TomG The link doesn't work for me somehow. Could you please send again?

I fixed the link in the previous message.

TomG - excuse my ignorance, but how exactly does this work? I opened the page you referenced on Select2. There are 2 sections (In your HTML, In your javascript). Can I simply use the code snippets in our survey? Or do I have to install Select2? I'm guessing yes, since it's referencing a Select2 function...?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Yes, you need to load the select2 script in the survey header or footer. The page isn't mine; it is the select2 website.

Ok, can I do that within the Header field under "Look & Feel?"

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/33274#Comment_33274Yes

Badge

Hi Tom,
I'm using the select2 script and I'm having a bug come up.
When I use it in a survey (please feel free to use this preview link to see for yourself), the box is displaying in all my following questions.
Do you happen to know if this is a Qualtrics bug? Do you have any solutions?
Preview - Online Survey Software | Qualtrics Survey SolutionsThis is the image that comes up in the next page of my survey. It should simply be the next question.
image.png

Leave a Reply