How to add a fixed question after the last block (all blocks are assigned in random order) | XM Community
Solved

How to add a fixed question after the last block (all blocks are assigned in random order)

• 7 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Hi all,

I would like to add a fixed question that refers to the content of the last scenario presented to the respondent. Each respondent is presented with 3 scenarios (blocks) in random order (there are 6 blocks in total - participants will be presented with only 3) - for each scenario the participant will be asked some permutation of questions.

I want to add a fixed question that appears only once - at the end of the last block (all the three blocks are assigned in random order). The fixed question needs to refer to the content of the last scenario - how can I do this?

Thanks a lot!
icon

Best answer by npetrov937 17 December 2019, 15:50

View original

3 replies

Badge +9
I would suggest putting the last fixed question in its own block to start. What kind of content reference are you looking to make for the last question? Where you're randomizing the preceding blocks, more information may help determine the best way to accomplish your goal.
Badge +1
In my survey, I intend to ask respondents to evaluate 3 decision-making scenarios in 3 different domains. Scenarios will be displayed in random order.

I intend to manipulate the decision-maker in each scenario and randomly assign respondents to one of the decision-makers: male or female. That is, there are 6 blocks in total, 2 blocks for each scenario.

At the end of the survey, after respondents evaluate the third scenario (presented in random order), I want to add a fixed block that presented the other type of decision-maker (male or female), asking them to indicate which of the decision-maker they prefer.

The content of this fixed block needs to relate to the last (third) scenario that respondents assess. The problem is that the scenarios randomly assigned, so each respondent receives a different scenario (domain and decision-maker).

Thanks so much for your help!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi @ShirRaviv123 ,

I am a bit confused by the randomization procedure but it could just be me. Perhaps posting a picture of your randomization could help next time?

Anyhow, what you can do is assign a "group" variable every time a participant see a specific condition. Then, at the end, you can have a few logical checks:
If group = 1 (i.e. saw domain 1 scenario 1), then display this relevant block.
If group = 2 (i.e. saw domain 1 scenario 2), then display this relevant block.
If group = 3 (i.e. saw domain 2 scenario 1), then display this relevant block.

Would that work?

Hope that helps.

Nikolay

Leave a Reply