An "easy" way to use the same survey for different embedded data fields | XM Community
Question

An "easy" way to use the same survey for different embedded data fields

• 9 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hello. We have a survey sent to employers several times a year for each of the student interns they employ at their company. In the past, we have just emailed the anonymous link to the employer and asked them to fill it out for each student (1-6 at each company).

The issue is that student first & last names sometimes are not spelled the same, so there is manual clean up required on my part to ensure the dashboards will summarize ALL of a particular student's data.

This year we would like to use email distributions for each of the employers to fill out the evaluation, pre-populating the items like student name. We have XMD, so I know I could format the employer contact information with StudentEmployee1, StudentEmployee2, etc -- and can create a contact list for each group based on StudentEmployee# "is not empty". The problem is, how do I get the survey to default to the correct choice? So -- the first email the employer gets defaults StudentEmployee1 information; second email is StudentEmployee2 information, etc without having a different survey defined for each of the StudentEmployee#s?

5 replies

Badge
You can could build your contact list to that that Student employee name is a single field, so that there are multiple contact rows for the employer. Each row in a contact list corresponds to one survey. Thus you will email out 6 surveys to one employer who has 6 student interms. The key is to have the email which goes out be unique! So, include the student employee name in the email. Then all surveys should distribute and the system won't think they are duplicates.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
I guess I understand the email part....what I'm not sure is how I can use display logic to fill in the student name in the survey. If I send the survey out and intend it to be "StudentName1" but then the second time I send it and want "StudentName2" -- I don't know how to adjust this on the fly?
!
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
@Akdashboard I did start this thread but it didn't get any traction. Since what I want to do is similar to what you did, I thought replying to your original post might get a response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@MichelleM I think you may also want to use the survey flow feature to build the firstname, lastname, and email fields into the outgoing email -- is that what you have in mind? https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/survey-flow-overview/
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
@AdamK12 if there is a way to use the survey Flow to substitute each iteration of student names for a "generic" first name and last name, I'm all for it. I'm just not sure how to structure it so the employer receives the correct number of evaluations for the students they employ (ie one employer might only have 1 student, but another has 3).

Leave a Reply