Auto-advance only works for some participants | XM Community
Solved

Auto-advance only works for some participants

• 10 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
My survey has a page with 9 questions. I set the auto-advance to make the page jump to the next one after 300 seconds. But after I collected all data, according to the timing record, 80 out of 400 participants spent more than 300s (from 301s to 600s or so) on this page. I had a similar problem in another survey. Do anybody know what's going on here? Thanks a lot in advance!
icon

Best answer by ElliotVW 11 December 2019, 16:28

View original

2 replies

Badge +2
Hi JFCHEN,

Did you collect device and browser data? I don't have much experience with this issue, but that would be the first place I'd look. This article - qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/question-types-guide/advanced/timing/ - says the auto-advance timer resets if the respondent exits and reopens the survey or navigates to a different page and then returns to this page, so maybe the recorded time includes total time across resets?

Best of luck!

Elliot V.W.
Badge +1
Thank you so much Elliot!

After testing the survey myself as a participant, I think I found out another reason. I set up all the questions on the page "force response" as well as "auto-advance after 300 seconds", but the former one disables the latter one, which means that the page won't advance after 300 seconds until participants answered all the questions.

However, I can't rule out the possibility that the problem is related to participants exiting and reopening the survey, which leads to multi-recorded time.

Still many thanks to you!

Leave a Reply