How to make discrete choice experiment using the Qualtrics? | XM Community
Solved

How to make discrete choice experiment using the Qualtrics?

• 5 May 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I am a student at Aarhus University, and in order to proceed with my master thesis, I have to make the discrete choice experiment. After some research, I was not able to understand how to do it. Could you please advice the procedure?

Best,
Ilona
icon

Best answer by Rich_Boits_Walker 6 May 2018, 04:53

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I believe you will be looking for info on choice-based conjoint analysis. The setup is more complex, but there is very detailed information in the support pages.

Support page link:
https://qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/conjoint-analysis/

There is also a survey template (.qsf file) that can be downloaded to give you a working example. It is the Feature Prioritization template located here: https://qualtrics.com/research-best-practices/survey-templates/
Thank you for your answer. However, it is not exactly what I need. Here is a picture how questions should look. Note, it is just example I have different attributes and levels.

The main idea, that respondents will have the possibility to chose between alternatives, but not rate every attribute.

!
Hi Ilona,
Were you able to do a discrete choice experiment on Qualtrics? I'm also interested in doing so. Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
> @Ilona said:
> Thank you for your answer. However, it is not exactly what I need. Here is a picture how questions should look. Note, it is just example I have different attributes and levels.
>
> The main idea, that respondents will have the possibility to chose between alternatives, but not rate every attribute.
>
> !
>

So I'm thinking it makes sense to present the options in each row, one row at a time. Using custom validation, you can force them to choose one choice per row.
OR you could present all of the options and using custom validation, force them to choose one option per column.
Badge
Hi,

This is probably a bit late for the initiators of this discussion, but hopefully this might be helpful to others facing similar issues.
I have written a short article in which I describe how to create a discrete choice experiment of the form that is discussed above. The paper is entitled "A Step-by-Step Procedure to Implement Discrete Choice Experiments in Qualtrics" and is published in the Social Science Computer Review.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Sylvain

Leave a Reply