One Likert scale question per page | XM Community
Question

One Likert scale question per page

• 17 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi all,

I have around 20 Likert scale questions. Instead of including all 20 questions in one matrix table (which I think could lead to fatigue, and participants may randomly click here and there, which would make the data noisy); I would rather like to show only one question to participants, and once it is answered, then participants can proceed to the next question. I have seen this in different surveys, and I would like to know if it is possible in Qualtrics. Many thanks.

Best,
Fayyaz

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
There are two options of doing that. First, you can design each statement / question individually as matrix table (likert, single answer) with just 1 statement. Alternatively, you can chose multiple choice (single answer, horizontal) as question type.
Although the way the multiple choice question is displayed might be more attractive, I would recommend using the matrix question type instead of multiple choice, because it might be more appropriate for further statistical analysis.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi @fayyaz ,

You can simply put all 20 questions on separate pages and apply "Forced response" to all of them so participants will have to answer each question before proceeding.

As a side note, I would strongly encourage all 20 questions in a matrix table. Even if the data are nosy, at least you did not bore participants to death with infinite clicking. To address the noisiness, you can add some random statements "Select response 5 to show that you are paying attention".

Hope that helps.

Nikolay

I have the same question. The problem with using the multiple choice format is that it forces you to label all the scale points.

Leave a Reply