Combine embedded data field into groups. | XM Community
Solved

Combine embedded data field into groups.

• 18 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I have an embedded data field for tenure and I'd like to use it to showcase results in a dashboard. The tenure field has an infinite number of entries and I'd like to be able to group them into buckets (<1 years, 1-4 years, 5-9 years, etc.) I haven't been able to figure out how to do that within custom metrics in the CX dashboard.
icon

Best answer by Ben_J101 23 January 2020, 04:44

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +27
Hi!

The best way is to create branches in the survey flow with the ranges of the tenure. for example tenuer in equal or more then 30 and equal or less than 40. and then create the embedded data field as coded tenure. This is not retroactive so you will have to filter the old responses in data and analysis and manually edit the coded tenuere field. the good news is that you can apply the same logic you use in the branches to filter those and bulk edit them
Badge
hi @jmalone

the suggestion above to use branching is a great way to do it. But of course, you don't always know the information you want to see until surveys are implemented and at that point you need to go back and manually update via data & analysis. i have done this and it is painful.

another option is to map these using the recode editor in the dashboard settings. you can only do this if the field is set to 'number set' or 'text set'. once you have set the field correctly and chosen the embedded data field you want to use you can then click on the little blue cog and the recode editor will pop up. use more options to set value you want to set these to (<1 years, 1-4 years, etc.). then you simply have to type into the free text fields what you want to convert to these values.

this is very painful, especially on a large scale. this will update all existing responses on your dashboard and any going forward. however, this will not recode the values in the embedded data in the directory or research core

hope this helps as a work around solution for you

thanks
Ben

Leave a Reply