add a "do-it-later" button, and once it is clicked, show 2 questions | XM Community
Question

add a "do-it-later" button, and once it is clicked, show 2 questions

• 20 December 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi, besides "next" button build in Qualtrics, can I have another "do-it-later" button shown together with "next" button on the same page? The reason I want to have "do-it-later" button is that my survey has hundreds of pages and it may several days for the responder to complete. So I want them to have the option to do it later. At the same time, when the responder decides to do it at another time, I want to collect their experience with the survey they have so far, so once the "do-it-later" button is clicked, I want to show two questions at the next page. When the responder reopens the survey, the survey should direct them to the next page to the page where they left.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi @Pei_2009 ,

The crucial difference here for me is whether the responders click on the same link they were originally sent or could they be sent another one when they decide to do it later.

Let's assume that they click the same link. Then, it's fairly straightforward as if a responder closes the and comes back to it later via the same link (and same PC, same browser etc), they get redirected straight to the page where they left off. Hence, all you need to do then is to collect their feedback and that could be as easy as redirecting them to another survey - perhaps you can even customize the URL with query strings to identify respondents.

Let's assume that they do not click the same link but are instead sent a URL via email to continue later. Then one thing you could do, albeit demanding to set up, is to create all pages as separate blocks and have an embedded data variable that tracks the respondents' progress (if they pass block 1, then progress=2, if the pass block 2, then progress=3 etc).

Then you have two options: display logic on questions or branch logic in survey flow. If you go for display logic, you need to set up display logic on all questions within a block such that the questions in block 2 would display if progress=2, all questions in block 3 would display if progress=3 and so on. If you go for branch logic, you can just set up each block under a branch logic such that block 2 goes under a branch logic that says progress<=2, block 3 goes under branch logic that says progess<=3 and so on.

After you set up the embedded data variables and the display/branch logic to your survey, you can redirect participants to a new survey with the "do-it-later" button and the survey would generate a link to the participant. Here, you can use either Actions (a bit more arduous to set up but much more flexible and efficient) and Distribute Survey task to send out a personalized link or you can simply generate an email that contains the "progress" variable in the URL using query strings.

Hope that helps.

Leave a Reply