Hiding Boxes in Multiple Choice Questions? | XM Community

Hiding Boxes in Multiple Choice Questions?

Hello everyone!

I am trying to figure out how to hide the "boxes" that you can tick in multiple-choice questions because I want my respondents to use the text entry instead.
I cannot use directly text entry because I am scoring the answers, therefore I am using multiple choice questions with multiple answers.

!

As you can see from the picture, I would like to remove the small boxes you can tick and leave only the text boxes. I have seen that is possible in other surveys, maybe using JavaScript, but I do not understand how.

Any help is very much appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Can you give a little bit more of an example here? You can score text entry.

Do you want them to enter different text response and then select one.. e.g. Name the colors of the rainbow and then select the first one?
> @MattBroffman_Orlando said:
> Can you give a little bit more of an example here? You can score text entry.
>
> Do you want them to enter different text response and then select one.. e.g. Name the colors of the rainbow and then select the first one?

Thank you for your answer!
I will try to explain it better. I am having participants performing a task, where they have to transcribe numerical codes based on a table I provide them with. They have a limited amount of time to do so. After, I am showing them their score.
The solution I am using right now is to have multiple choice questions with text options, because when I tried to use text entries (the "form" version), I could not score them.
Therefore, I am either trying to find a way to score text entries in the form version (I want multiple entries per row/column) or to hide the box from the multiple questions!

I hope it's a bit clearer now, thanks again for your help!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
If the order maters (e.g. the first entry Must be "35" and the second one must be "85") then you can certainly score Text Entry questions. See: SCORING TEXT ENTRY QUESTIONS on https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/scoring/

If the order doesn't matter (e.g. they could enter "85" on the first one and "35" on the second and it would still be right) then you'll need to enter each possible correct answer for each entry.

If you wanted to I think you could prevent someone from entering duplicate responses.

Does that work?
> If the order maters (e.g. the first entry Must be "35" and the second one must be "85") then you can certainly score Text Entry questions. See: SCORING TEXT ENTRY QUESTIONS on https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/scoring/
>
> If the order doesn't matter (e.g. they could enter "85" on the first one and "35" on the second and it would still be right) then you'll need to enter each possible correct answer for each entry.
>
> If you wanted to I think you could prevent someone from entering duplicate responses.
>
> Does that work?

To clarify further, my idea is something like this.

I provide you with a table where A corresponds to 1, B corresponds to 2 and C corresponds to 3.
You have 2 minutes of time and you will see rows of boxes with letters A, B, and C, and you need to type the corresponding number next to each letter. The more you answer, the better.
The answers, therefore, do repeat. It's a bit more complex but the idea is the one I explained.

Then I need to score everyone based on how many letters they wrote down!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Then text entry should work just fine. Each one would be scored looking for the correct number.
> Then text entry should work just fine. Each one would be scored looking for the correct number.

I will try it out tomorrow, thank you!
> Then text entry should work just fine. Each one would be scored looking for the correct number.

I am trying it out and I don't see a way to have more than one text entry on the same row/column, except for the "form" option that does not work with scoring. Is that the case?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Add a static text for your question and then add multiple text entry fields with no question. It will then look like one question with multiple entries. They will be vertical and not horizontal.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Some more thoughts...you could either use custom CSS to bring the questions closer together and make multiple single-line text entries look like a form. Or you could use your form entry on one block. On the next block have multiple single-line entries and pipe in the responses from the form. You could either have those hidden via JS or my preference would be a review of their responses where the text entries are read-only add:
` jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .InputText").prop("readonly", true); `
to onload JS for the question.

Then you can score the single-line text entry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Andrea1996,

Back to your original question, it depends the theme you are using, but the following will probably work regardless of theme:
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
var q = jQuery("#"+this.questionId);
q.find("label").attr("style", "display:none !important");
q.find("input[type=checkbox]").hide();
});
```
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
@TomG yes, that will hide checkboxes but the only scoring that I know of on the multiple-choice is based on choice selection. So, I think if @Andrea1996 wants to score based on text (or numerical) response it's going to have to be text entry (single, multi-, essay or password but not form). RIght?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @TomG yes, that will hide checkboxes but the only scoring that I know of on the multiple-choice is based on choice selection. So, I think if @Andrea1996 wants to score based on text (or numerical) response it's going to have to be text entry (single, multi-, essay or password but not form). RIght?

Correct. Based on the original question, I thought @Andrea1996 wanted to score based on choice selection.

Boxes.PNGHello,
maybe someone can help me which JavaScript I can use to hide only the first check box, not the text 'In the year'?
Thank you in advance! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Vince11 See this.

Thanks for your reply!
This makes the text disappear. How can I turn off/hide the check box without making the text disappear? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Add this code to your JS:
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function () {
    let buttons = this.getQuestionContainer().querySelectorAll(".q-radio");
    buttons[0].hide();
});

Change the number (0,1,2...) based on the option for which you want to hide the radio button.

Leave a Reply