Question

Dynamic Ticket Assignment and Custom Mappings

• 9 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11
  • QPN Level 2 ●●
  • 35 replies
I have the following issue: on the one hand, I want to create Ticket Task and dynamically assign it to a Qualtrics user via Q_TicketOwner. The problem is that the database to which the survey is sent doesn't come with the Qualtrics user of the person to whom the ticket will be assigned, but instead it comes with a number in a column I will call Col1, for which I have a mapping to the corresponding Qualtrics user. For example: "04" --> "john_doeAt...".
At the moment I cannot add this mapping as a new column to the database, so I have to do this mapping internally inside Qualtrics, but I haven't found an easy way to do it. What I did was to create a separate Directory, and created contacts such that firstName is "04" and it's Email is "john_doeAt...", then in the survey flow I created a web service that queries the Directory (using this API call: https://api.qualtrics.com/reference#directory-contacts-search) for contacts that have whatever comes in Col1 as firstName, if succeed grabs the Email, and then create a new Embedded Data with the Qualtrics User. Then I can assign this variable to Q_TicketOwner. This solution works until now, but it's very convoluted and I don't want to depend on API calls. Another possible solution would be to create N teams inside Ticketing, assign a single person to each team, and then assign the Ticket to the corresponding group via Q_GroupOwner. The problem with this is that N here has several hundred possible values, and would have to create the teams manually. Does someone know a better way to do this?

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
The only options I can think of are:
- External lookup (as you are doing)
- In survey lookup (would require you to manually enter them in the survey as logic)
- Actions logic lookup (create a conditional task for each...slightly easier then survey lookup but not ideal for the 100s you are talking about. You can copy the logic so you would just have to adjust the Col1 data and assigned user for each one...but it's a manual entry and update
- Based on dashboard teams (as you described above)
- Have the system sending the survey do a lookup prior to sending the survey and embed the assigned user or build a middleware to do both(I'm assuming you have ruled this out)

What would be ideal would be if you could update dashboard teams via the API. I can't see that it is available in the API as it looks to be just admin groups and not dashboard roles/teams. Or the ability to create actions via the API. You could make a product request or reach out to your account exec to see if it's available.

Another product idea would be if the actions tab had a lookup step. This could lookup contact data (as you need here) but potentially other data in qualtrics and then pass that data to the task.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
FWIW I added the actions lookup as a product idea here. It would help us with a lot of our manual work.
Userlevel 3
Badge +11
Thanks for your response Matt,

I considered all the manual options you said, but the problem is that this logic should be replicated along several surveys, making it very difficult to maintain for the client. The last option would be ideal, but for the moment the IT Team doesn't have the resources to do it, so I will probably stick with the API call to the Contact Directory, since it's the easiest to maintain.

Thanks for taking the time to create a post in the Product Ideas category, I hope they listen. It would be great if one could, for example, store a mapping somewhere or add attributes to each user (or use the ones that are available for dashboards in other parts of Qualtrics), and then add those attributes in a condition in Actions or the Survey Flow.

Leave a Reply