Repeat question until respondent selects "No" | XM Community
Solved

Repeat question until respondent selects "No"

• 15 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Have a survey where at the end we ask "would you like to make a new submission?" If the respondent selects Yes then a form question displays allowing them to submit the information. After they submit we would like the survey to ask again if they would like to make a new submission. This should repeat until "No" is selected and they will be skipped to end of survey. Is it possible to do this?
icon

Best answer by Kate 15 January 2020, 20:27

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
This is not possible in Qualtrics right now.

You have two options:
1. Estimate how many times people will submit info, and create a few extra blocks in case.
2. If a totally new survey record is acceptable, you could use to the "End of Survey" Element a though it were a question. Then use a hyperlink to take them to the beginning again.

Option one works if you need to allow for multiple entries on one survey record.
EG: Customer A bought pants and a suit and a shirt and they need 3 blocks to review each. Customer B bought 2 pants, and 6 shirts. They need 8 blocks to review each. Each customer has to have an individual survey record.
-OR-
You ask a customer to submit information about a contract they made with a vendor. You need to collect details on each different contract. But each customer needs to have a separate survey record.

Option two works if you wanted to use a survey as a way to submit information multiple times. EG: Field Staff submit reports on customers, and they submit a new survey/form for every customer they met with in a week. But each customer can be it's own survey record.
-Or-
You have someone conducting a market research survey in a supermaket. They submit a new survey for each customer they talk to and get answers to. Each customer can be it's own survey record.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
To add to @Kate's suggestion...for the second option if there are previous questions they have answered..name, etc. You could/should pass those into the query string of the URL as embedded data. You then can have the survey flow be that if that data is present, skip to the block with the question you want to repeat. That will prevent the user from repeating the entire survey vs the last question.

I'm interested to find out if Qualtric has updated this functionality that chasemcl is referencing? Thank you.

Badge

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/21333#Comment_21333I am interested to know how to do that. Would you care to explain or to direct me toward some links?
Thank you!
Sarah

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/30126#Comment_30126Sure. The basics are you will Pass information FROM your current survey into a URL and then you will then need to add that to the new survey URL and set it as embedded data.

Both those help docs are on the same page but are actually backwards in the order they appear in sense that you need to:
1) Get the info from your survey
2) Add it to the URL of the new survey
3) Set embedded data in the survey based on the URL
4) Build in the logic to skip if the embedded data is set (or auto fill in the fields with the embed data)
Also be mindful that the first time they take the survey the data is captured in the field values and the second time it's set in embedded data and the fields are empty (if you skip the fields). To work around this, I'd set the embedded value in the survey the first time so that when you review the reports you will use the embedded data for the value on all submissions. Or you could autofill the fields based on the embedded data value (but I don't think that works if the fields aren't shown to the user..I recall a previous community conversation about this so you would want to test).

Leave a Reply