Connecting respondents to assess Pre and Post Test Reliability | XM Community
Question

Connecting respondents to assess Pre and Post Test Reliability

• 20 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am currently trying to conduct a pilot of a survey assessing participants' knowledge prior to and after completing a series of online modules. To do this, we are administering the survey twice, once before and once after the modules. We are currently at the piloting stage and are trying to determine how we can ensure the data from each participant is connected (pre to post). The post test will be administered 2 weeks after the pre-test.

The survey HAS TO BE anonymous due to ethical considerations. As a result, I have no idea how to match my data from the pre test to the data from the post test, since we won't be collecting names, emails, etc.

Is there a way I can get participants to assign themselves a unique ID number before completing the pre test, and to use that same ID for the post test? How do I send participants the link for the post test if I can't collect email addresses? Are there other solutions I am not aware of?

Thanks for your help!

3 replies

I'm coincidentally also figuring something similar to this out, and I just found this support article: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/assigning-randomized-ids-to-respondents/

It seems to be exactly what you're after!

EDIT: This doesn't seem to guarantee that the IDs will be unique, which kind of defeats the purpose. I haven't figured out yet how to do this.
Alright, i managed to figure something out. It was more steps than I anticipated, but Iike the result. I explained how I did it in the comment to my own post.
I am working with a faculty member doing the same thing. For other reasons, the respondents already have random ID's coming into the survey but we are looking for a way to easily match up their pre and post results. Is there a way without doing it manually?

Leave a Reply