JavaScript toFixed Question | XM Community
Solved

JavaScript toFixed Question

• 12 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I am trying to adapt some code from this thread so that I can pull the numeric value from a question and post it to an embedded data value with always having 2 decimal places (think US currency).

> ```
> Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
> var score = parseFloat("${gr://SC_cvbYKS7ZMqwXmgR/Score}");
> score = Math.round(score * 10) / 10;
> Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("score1", score.toFixed(1));
> });
> ```

I've tried the following codes, on UnLoad, and doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

> ```
> var Q8 = ("${q://QID8/ChoiceTextEntry/Value}");
> var Q8 = Q8.toFixed(2);
>
>Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("score.Q8", Q8);
>```
and

> ```
> var Q8 = ("${q://QID8/ChoiceTextEntry/Value}");
>
>Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("score.Q8", Q8.toFixed(2);
>```
icon

Best answer by TomG 12 February 2020, 21:02

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You need to convert the piped string to a number to use toFixed.
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
var Q8 = parseFloat("${q://QID8/ChoiceTextEntry/Value}");
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("score.Q8", Q8.toFixed(2));
});
```
I'm confused about the Unload comment. I'm assuming it is a typo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@TomgG - Thanks for your help, as always!

So I've tried the code in all 3 sections:
* Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload
* Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady
* Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addUnload

The last one is what I mean with 'UnLoad'. I was thinking that if I wanted to put the code in the same text entry question, then(QID8), then I'd need to do that on UnLoad. It was a bit of shot in the dark.

I've tried adding your code to addOnLoad of QID8 and the question on another page and in both instance I get score.Q8 = NaN.

Any thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
NaN means "Not a Number". So, the thing you are piping isn't parsing as a number. For example, if the first character of the string isn't a digit it won't parse as a number.

Unload won't work. If you need to set it before going to the next page use addOnPageSubmit and retrieve the value directly from the input element.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
> @TomG said:
> NaN means "Not a Number". So, the thing you are piping isn't parsing as a number. For example, if the first character of the string isn't a digit it won't parse as a number.
>
> Unload won't work. If you need to set it before going to the next page use addOnPageSubmit and retrieve the value directly from the input element.
>
>

There must have been something lingering in my test project that interfered with this because I created a new survey and recreated the code and everything works.

Leave a Reply