Easiest way for Qualtrics to assign participant numbers starting at 1. | XM Community
Solved

Easiest way for Qualtrics to assign participant numbers starting at 1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I would like Qualtrics to assign a number to each participant who starts a survey, beginning with 1 and counting up by 1 each participant. This number will need to be piped into a question in the middle of the survey. Is there any way to do this, preferably without using Java or the API.
icon

Best answer by uhrxx005 22 May 2018, 18:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You'll have to keep the count external to Qualtrics. The easiest way is to create web service script that gets and updates the count.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There is a high chance that multiple members participating the survey at the same time and they will see the same number...
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam said:
> There is a high chance that multiple members participating the survey at the same time and they will see the same number...

Actually, this risk (which is quite low) can be eliminated if you program it correctly. You could lock it so only one respondent could get/update the count at a time. The whole process will only take a few milliseconds.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
If anyone else has this same question, I decided against doing this and instead assigned a random 5-digit code. For the 5-digit code I used the last 5 digits of the responseID following the instructions here: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/2215#Comment_2215

Leave a Reply