Custom Question Code | XM Community
Solved

Custom Question Code

• 19 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

Sorry for the poor title, but I felt it was hard to describe what I wanted in a few words.

I need some help regarding some custom code with a sequence of questions that sequentially interact with each other.

I need to create a question that will pipe in randomized names in a description area and then have the same exact names populate into the multiple choices. Once the subject selects one of the names from the answer choices on the next page it will show the remaining names in the description and multiple choices, and so on until all names are chosen. Each iteration needs to be a new question on a new page (via page break), but within the same block.

For example, a question in my survey may look as follows:

The four nicknames that have been assigned to you are ${e://Field/name1}, ${e://Field/name2}, ${e://Field/name3}, ${e://Field/name4}. From these names which one do you like the best?

1. ${e://Field/name1}
2. ${e://Field/name2}
3. ${e://Field/name3}
4. ${e://Field/name4}

Let's say this individual chooses ${e://Field/name2} hypothetically.

On the next question, it will look as follows:

Out of the following names which one do you like the best ${e://Field/name1}, ${e://Field/name3}, ${e://Field/name4}?

1. ${e://Field/name1}
2. ${e://Field/name3}
3. ${e://Field/name4}

And so on until every name has been selected through multiple choice.

Is this at all possible? Thanks for any help in advance!
icon

Best answer by gametheoryguy93 21 February 2020, 07:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Is there a reason you can't use a ranking question?
Yes, with our experiment we made the choice not to use a ranking question as a name assignment strategy. I am obviously not going to go into a massive rationale behind why, but yes, a ranking question seems like an obvious contender, but it is not the strategy my co-authors and I decided on. 😞
I ended up figuring out a far easier solution using the 'Carry Forward Choices' functionality and using the 'not selected' option for each previous question.

Leave a Reply