Restricting access to Contacts/Directory

hlmckimhlmckim Community Member Qubie ✭

Restricting access to Contacts/Directory

I am a Brand Administrator at a university that recently acquired a site-wide license for Qualtrics. We also have QClassroom for course evaluations. Currently our primary users are the Institutional Research team, who have sent out a few surveys to all students, so all our enrolled students now exist in our directory. How do we make sure that other campus users, such as faculty members who use surveys for their research or students who are doing class projects, do not have access to the contact info now uploaded and do not upload their own contacts into this directory? I have read through Qualtrics materials online but can't figure out how to handle this.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ElliotVWElliotVW Canada Guru ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi @hlmckim,

You can edit the permissions different users have a number of ways (individual users, user types, groups etc.). I'm guessing you're looking to manage a lot of users, so I would suggest creating user types for each of the situations you described (professors, students, institutional researchers).

To stop them from accessing these features, you'll want to disable their permission to "access contacts" and "manage directory". Here is an article that provides a thorough rundown of all the different permissions in case there are more permissions you need to play around with - https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/sp-administration/managing-users/user-permissions/. Look under the "contacts" header to find the "access contacts" and "manage directory" settings.

Cheers,

Elliot V.W.

Answers

• AdamK12AdamK12 Bethesda, MDCommunity Member, XMPN Member Guru ✭✭

@hlmckim Just to make sure it's clear, did you upload your directory into Qualtrics (e.g., in an online panel), or are you distributing the survey using an anonymous or trackable link? If the latter, you should be able to keep your contact database separate from the Qualtrics tool. Depending on what you are looking to do, you can also click the "Anonymyze Response" box under Survey Options which will remove identifying information. Does that answer your question?

• hlmckimhlmckim Community Member Qubie ✭

No, it doesn't really answer my question. We have uploaded contact data into the Default Directory. For our Qclassroom course evaluations, we have a separate directory for the students who will be receiving course evaluations. Is there any way to prevent other users, who will be distributing surveys for their own research projects, from using these directories or uploading into these directories?

• AdamK12AdamK12 Bethesda, MDCommunity Member, XMPN Member Guru ✭✭

@hlmckim I see -- I'll escalate your question and maybe someone else can answer. We typically field our surveys using site intercepts or anonymous links. I think you should be able to restrict access to particular directories, though,

Sign In to Comment