Returning to Previous Blocks | XM Community
Question

Returning to Previous Blocks

• 23 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I'm working on a survey that includes a 'choose-your-own-adventure' portion. Essentially, this means a bunch of multiple choice questions with several incorrect answers. When a participant answers incorrectly, we want to first send them to a slide explaining their error, and then back to attempt the question again. Ideally, if they answer incorrectly multiple times, it should just send them back to the question as many times as necessary until they get the right answer.

Right now we have each question set up in a different block for ease of organization, but after some research there doesn't appear to be a way to return to a previous block in Qualtrics. We've tried out the loop logic, but we can't figure out a way to send them to the explanatory slide using this feature. Does anyone have a straightforward way to do this?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
What if the explanatory slide is the next question on the next page, and you use display logic to only show it if they got the answer wrong. Then on the slide page you disable and hide the next button with JS. So, their only option is to use the back button to go back to the question they got wrong.

I am trying to do something similar. I have a block that is meant to represent a product catalog with many items to choose from. Using CSS I was able to edit the multiple choice response options to make them appear more like an online shopping site (each response option shows a product picture, name, and price).
Depending on which item users select they get taken to another block representing that item's product page. On that page I present an option to "Go back to catalog." I want users to return to the initial catalog block when they select the "Go back to catalog" option (so they can make a different selection), but I am having trouble figuring this out (or if it is even possible).
I can't use the Back back button because it is not available across branches. I use branches to direct the respondent to the correct product page based on their selection from the catalog.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/27267#Comment_27267Qualtrics isn't well suited for what you want to do. You might be able to do it using a table of contents with a lot of JavaScript modification.

Leave a Reply