Accessibility of survey questions -- any unique best practices or tools? | XM Community

Accessibility of survey questions -- any unique best practices or tools?

• 24 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Level 5 ●●●●●
  • 295 replies
I've received a question that my organization is interested in expanding our customer feedback/experience survey work to include members of the blind community. We follow Section 508 and WCAG principles as manifested in the "Accessibility" feature in Qualtrics, and all our content must be 508 compliant. That said, I would be interested in hearing from other Qualtrics users who have successfully conducted customer experience research. Are there any best practices or experiences that you can share? Thanks very much!

6 replies

Badge +3
@AdamK12 , there is a lot of information on the below page when it comes to best practices while building an accessible survey in Qualtrics. I hope this should answer some of your questions. https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/check-survey-accessibility/
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks very much, @Shamji_Abbas -- I'm familiar with that page and we make use of the ComplianceAssist function as well. What I'm asking is more of a best/leading practice question regarding, aside from the tool, how community members have successfully reached out to populations or segments using accessible tools. I have a specific question from one of my organization's divisions about outreach to the blind community, for example. The technical answer is clear: follow compliance guidelines to make sure that readers can read and reproduce the question text in audio form. But are there other practices that have been successful? Is that something you have experience in?

Thanks,
Adam

I have tested their platform with screen readers, and there are significant blockers for blind and low vision users. It's clear that they aren't using a thorough screen reader testing matrix, nor are they following WCAG 2.1, AA-level or Section 508 standards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Thanks, ToriC -- that's good to know.

Badge +2

AdamK12 great question! I am also interested in this. Did you end up finding any other tips aside from the page link provided above?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

paca I'm just seeing your comment here. I haven't found any tips beyond the useful tip above, and haven't received any more questions from my colleagues.
That said, our organization has prioritized accessibility of information (from a socioeconomic as well as an audiovisual perspective) so I expect to hear more about the topic...

Leave a Reply