how to create even spacing on Likert scale with text anchors | XM Community
Solved

how to create even spacing on Likert scale with text anchors

• 24 May 2018
  • 3 replies

I am using a 5-point Likert scale with a text anchor at each end. The spacing between the points is not even because of the text. Is there a way to fix this so it is visually "correct"? I make a graphic with the anchors, but the survey has to be in multiple languages so that is not a real solution.
icon

Best answer by TomG 25 May 2018, 21:12

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Make the 5 scale points just the numbers and add 2 labels for the end points.
Thanks. I played with your suggestion and came up with one solution in the attached graphic. The other attachment is with the graphic, but I can't make that language specific. Is there another way?
!

The option below is text so can be language specific. The column on left is OK. The one on the right has the anchors with the likert scale but the spacing between options is not even.
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
My answer pertained to a Matrix question, which is what I assumed when you said Likert scale. Side-by-side questions are completely different. My first suggestion is to avoid side-by-side questions when possible. However, you can use an html table like the following for the column headers:
```
<table style="width:100%"><tr><td style="text-align:left;width:50%">Left</td><td style="text-align:right;width:50%">Right</td></tr></table>
```

Leave a Reply