Can I make a drop down menu populated by previous responses? | XM Community
Question

Can I make a drop down menu populated by previous responses?

• 26 March 2020
  • 2 replies

I am building a candidate review survey and have a text entry question asking users to type in the person they are reviewing. I want to avoid as many name iterations as possible (i.e. Meg for Meghan, Dick for Richard, etc.) so I can easily sort the data, so I'd like to give users a list of previously reviewed candidates AND an option to add another name, if needed.

I'd like to make a text entry question that predicts the name being typed, and suggests an autofill pulling from previously responses. For example, if the user starts typing 'Joh..", and someone already reviewed John Smith, I'd like them to have the option to click John Smith from previously recorded data. However, if their candidate has not already been reviewed, I'd like them to have to ability to add this new candidate to the list as an 'other' option.

Can anyone help with creating this? I've tried using Select2, but it doesn't seem to work for this task.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Check this
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You are on the right track with Select2, but this is pretty complicated. First, you need a web service call to save unique names into an external database. Next, you need a web service call to populate the list of unique names from the external database. Then in JS you need to build a select based on your piped list of names that you attach to a Qualtrics text entry field using an event handler, then attach Select2 to the select to enable searching and tagging (in case it is a new name).

Leave a Reply