Latin Square design | XM Community
Question

Latin Square design

• 16 April 2020
  • 2 replies

I want to implement a Latin Square design for my survey. How can I do this through the platform?
In a Latin square design, your survey questions are organized into groups. The survey participant only sees one question per group.
Each question also receives a type or category. Every group has one question from each category, and the categories are the same across the groups.
The categories occur in a cyclic manner, such that every question the participant sees from each group is of a different category. The participant does not see the same category of question until they have already seen every other category. If there are more groups than categories, the cycle of categories repeats.
Is there a way to set up a survey this way?
P.S. I also want to add filler questions, i.e., dummy questions from which data is not collected. Then I want to randomize the ordering of the groups with the filler questions.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Implementing a Latin Square design is, for the most part, a walk in the park within Qualtrics - you would mostly use Randomizers, Branch Logic and Group elements within the Survey Flow.
Filler questions should be just as easy to add.
Here's an example of using those elements together for specific requirements - hopefully that gives you an idea of what you need.
P.S. Cycling the categories (where there are more groups than categories) would be tricky, for which I don't have generic advice apart from trying to use the Loop & Merge feature perhaps..

Hi! I would like to build a "balanced latin square" between the blocks of my survey. Someone can help?
In brief my survey is composed by:
1) Basic Information
2) Demographics
3) 6 questionnaires that might be presented using the "balanced latin square" [there are 6 possible presentations]
4) Last info

Can I group the blocks within point 3 and then set a sort of rule in block presentations?
In this way, the first respondent will see the questionnaires in 3) presented with rule 1, the second respondent will see the questionnaires in 3) presented with rule 2...the sixth with rule 6, and then the 7th again with rule 1 and so on.
Many thanks,
Giulia

Leave a Reply