Bulk editing multiple choice answers in active survey | XM Community
Question

Bulk editing multiple choice answers in active survey

• 22 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Dear all,
I want to bulk edit the answers of a multi response question - due to a programming error, I want to set a certain option from the multiple choice question to missing in all collected data.
Using the bulk edit option under Data & Analysis > With Selected > Edit doesn't work because I actively need to tick the options that should be selected which of course is a different set for each respondent (of which I have many).
Is there any way single options out of a multi response question can be amended quickly?
One more note: the survey is active, hence I need to make sure I don't loose any newly collected data for instance by downloading, adjusting and uploading the data.
Thank you for your support!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi EvaSch,
When you tried using the bulk edit option, did you filter and/or sort the data by the question you're editing? I might not have a complete understanding of your problem, but in my experience that's the only manageable way to make bulk edits on a large number of responses.

Badge +1

Hi MatthewM,
thanks for your reply!
I have filtered the data, however my actual issue is that I have a multiple choice question with 10 answer options of which I only want to remove the data for one of these options - the remaining data I want to leave as is.
When bulk editing, so far I only found the option to define the answers for all 10 answer options at the same time (ticking/unticking) and not for one of the options only.
Editing all 10 answer options at the same time is not feasible because of course every respondent gave different answers, which leaves me with a multitude of different answer combinations.
I hope this makes it a bit clearer - thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi EvaSch,
OK, I see now. A select all/multiple answer question can't be sorted in the Data & Analysis or bulk edited the same as a choose one/single answer. My bulk editing experience to date has been with the latter so I didn't realize multiple answer questions were more limited
I wonder if, instead editing the data in Data & Analysis, you could address this issue in the survey editor, either by marking the erroneous response with the "Exclude from analysis" option, or by recoding the value?

Leave a Reply