Default recode values | XM Community
Question

Default recode values

• 26 April 2020
  • 4 replies

I'm using recode values to do complex scoring for my survey. For ease of use, not answering a question is meant to simply default to one of the choices. Is there a way for me to say what happens to recode values if someone doesn't answer a question, versus forcing them to answer the question? If not, what is the recode value assigned if a question is not answered?
/mike

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If a question is not answered then obviously when we try pipe the selected choice recode, it will be blank.

Actually, it's not obvious at all. Recode values are numeric, and a blank is not.
But assuming you're right, is there any way to select a default value for questions left blank?
/mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No their is no default choice code. So in piping the selected choice recode it will be blank. But, if you are using recode choices in Math operation, then that would be considered as 0.

Badge +1

I have a survey question where unanswered questions in a matrix question are being recoded to 15 by Qualtrics. The valid responses are from 1 to 11 but Qualtrics is recoding unanswered sections to 15 and I cannot figure out why. I've tried the export option to recode unanswered questions to -99 but that does not fix it.

Leave a Reply