Back button not appearing between blocks that don't have anything in between them | XM Community
Question

Back button not appearing between blocks that don't have anything in between them

• 28 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi. I have an issue that I can't figure out. I administer surveys for multiple clients. And all of them are set up to have survey questions in a main block, and then the last question in a separate block so we can use a "Submit Survey" button. In one of them, in the survey flow I have the embedded data set after the submit survey page, and when a participant gets to the Submit Survey page they see the back button. However, on another client, it's set up this way but they can't see the back button. Then I have several clients that have no embedded data set in the survey flow, so there's nothing between the two blocks, and they can't see the back button when they get to the submit survey page. Any thoughts as to why the inconsistency? Thanks in advance.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Survey Experience - Qualtrics Support

Warning: In some cases, a back button will not show on your page even if you have the setting selected in your Survey Options. This is caused by having elements between blocks in your Survey Flow. Any element (Branch LogicEmbedded DataRandomizerWeb Service, etc.) will disable the back button on the first page of the block that follows it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I understand that. What I'm saying is that there is absolutely nothing in between the survey question block and the submit survey block. And I've looked and we have none of those above things in the survey. So I can't figure out why it's not working.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Can you try to recreate the survey from scratch and make sure when you create the survey flow, there is absolutely nothing between the block. Maybe when you create the survey flow, you created a block in between blocks and moved them and that information is remained? That's the only guess I can come up with.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

One more thing i can think of is caching. When you test the survey, make sure you use a new browser and maybe even use incognito mode to make sure what you see is not a cached survey session via cookie.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok, I just looked again, and I don't have any elements between the blocks, but there is display logic within the first block. Would that be why the back button wouldn't appear in the second block?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

backup the display logic by taking a screenshot or remember it, then remove the display logic, publish it, wait for a few seconds and test it to see if the display logic is the one that prevent the back button from showing up.

Leave a Reply