Populating Matrix questions with names of children in a class based on drill-down selection | XM Community
Solved

Populating Matrix questions with names of children in a class based on drill-down selection

Hi Brains Trust!
I am relatively new to Qualtrics and putting together a survey which asks teachers a series of multiple-choice style (Likert scale) questions about each of the students in their class (see below for example).
I have uploaded data for the whole school as a .csv and teachers select their class using a drill-down menu:
Year Group ->Subject ->Class Code
There is a fourth column in this data which contains the student names, which is the data I would like to use to populate the subsequent questions:

Question 1: 1 - Disagree Strongly 2 - Disagree 3 - Neutral 4 - Agree 5- Agree Strongly
Student 1:
Student 2:

Question 2: 1 - Disagree Strongly 2 - Disagree 3 - Neutral 4 - Agree 5- Agree Strongly
Student 1:
Student 2:
etc.

What is the easiest way to achieve this? There are different numbers of students in each class which is an additional complication, but I could add a fifth column to the ,csv file indicating the 'last' student in a group if needed. I do not know JavaScript so I am hoping there is existing functionality allowing me to filter the data for the selection a teacher makes and somehow pipe these student names into the matrices.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you,
Robin

icon

Best answer by rondev 9 May 2020, 13:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

One of the solution can be - Get the max number of student that can be present in a class and create that many ED (Student1, Student2.......StudentN).
In the drill down question, on selecting the class code, get all the option of fourth column(Student name) and set this as value of the above created ED using JS
Now create a matrix question with N (max student in class) number of statements and pipe in the ED in the Statement text sequentially. Add display logic to each statement as - display if respective ED is not empty.
Now for further question, just copy the above question so you need not need to create that many statements and display logic again and again or you can also use loop and merge feature for this.

Thanks @rondev, that sounds great, but I am afraid that I don't know how to create ED(Student1, ...) or how to get all the option of the fourth column(Student name) and set this as value of the above created ED. Do I use JavaScript for this? What do I need to do exactly?
Thanks for your help and sorry I am not very experienced at this!
Best wishes,
Robin

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sorry for not being clear in the previous instruction. Yes, we need to create the embedded data in the survey flow and get the options and set them using JS.

Leave a Reply