Setting up forced default choices | XM Community
Solved

Setting up forced default choices

New to the tool. Is there a simple way to default responses in an answer set on Qualtrics. For example, I ask a a MR question and the respondent gives one answer. My next question is "pick best" of the previous answers. I want them to skip over this but still record their logical answer.
icon

Best answer by AnthonyR 1 March 2018, 17:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
This can be done with some JavaScript, but it will depend on the question type.

Here is the basic flow:

When they reach the page, check to see if the number of answers is 1, if it is automatically select the answer and click the next button.

The biggest downside to doing this is that the page HAS to display for a small amount of time while it performs the check and actions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
We do this with JavaScript. To reduce 'flashing' I hide the Skin at the beginning of the script and then unhide it at the end if there is more than one choice. There is still a brief flash, but it is minimal.

Another thing to keep in mind is the previous button on the next page. The easiest thing to do is just hide it. We added some logic to our script to set an embedded variable so that on the next page we hide the previous button if there was only one choice and don't hide it if there is more than one.

Leave a Reply