Tableau vs. Vocalize | XM Community

Tableau vs. Vocalize

• 27 February 2018
  • 3 replies

We currently use Tableau for all of our survey dashboards and data visualizations. I would love to hear from anyone that has experience using both--what are the pros and cons of each? If you made the switch from Tableau to Vocalize (or vice versa), why?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +45
I like to use both for different purposes. I should mention that we use Tableau Desktop at my institution, and not Tableau Server. I find that Tableau is more versatile in what it can do (grouping, calculations, visualizations, etc.), but I find Vocalize to be more convenient for sharing data. If I were to use Tableau Desktop to share, I would have to download the raw data (possibly at multiple points in time), build or refresh the dashboard, and then send it to the appropriate person(s), and they would need Tableau Reader to open and read the workbook. With Vocalize, anyone who works at my institution has access, and I can set up permissions as needed. The Vocalize dashboards are updated in real time as survey results come in, and anyone with permission to access the data can go in at will. This saves me lots of time! I still use Tableau for all of our public facing dashboards and for more complex data analysis, but I prefer Vocalize for low-maintenance, self-service dashboards 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +16
Hi, I think both systems are useful for different purpose. In our case, Tableau is very good for integrating the management information for the board and directors from different sources. However, allowing different users and roles to access specific information is more complex, so we use Role Based Dashboards to allow each user to access his specific information.
Badge +4
We've done some work with both Tableau and Vocalize, and they're both quite powerful. From a high level (which is about all I can answer at this point), we've done some good custom integration work with Tableau (integrating their charts into our own pages through their library and our APIs). This is great, but also has to get plugged into our development and project management process. Vocalize was a quicker solution for dashboard, and we were still quite able to customize what we needed.

Leave a Reply