Build a survey for longitudinal data collection/analysis | XM Community
Solved

Build a survey for longitudinal data collection/analysis

• 7 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
I've built a survey for our k-12 school administrators designed to help them identify technology professional development needs for their staff. The plan is for them to administer the survey once each year, review the data to identify professional development needs, put together a building professional development plan, then execute the plan. Ideally, I'd like for them to be able to review multiple administrations of the survey so they can potentially see growth (for the building) over the years. Any ideas about attributes I should / could use to capture those annual administrations of the survey would be greatly appreciated!
icon

Best answer by Michael_Campbell_RedPepper 8 March 2018, 16:42

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
For sure!! That sounds like an awesome project!

It sounds like you're going to need to make a few surveys for that:
- An Annual survey for getting their current strengths and needs, and where they set a plan (I recommend making that plan measurable and based on specific time units, like months)
- A regularly recurring survey to get the information about how their progress is going
- And an 'End of the Year' survey where they can report on their final state.

There are a few ways you could go about this, but I think the best part is knowing what to look up.

I would use Qualtric's built-in Authentication system so you can keep track of who is taking what survey. That way, you can make sure that each user is kept separate, and you can see their progress.

I would store their data in Embedded Data (you can do that programmatically, or in the Survey Flow).

I would also create a Custom End of Survey Message that has a Chart on it for them to see their progress, as well as dynamic advice on where they can focus their efforts. Let's say there are 5 categories where you measure their strengths, and one of them is 'Technical Ability'. If that one is low, then you could present a link to an online course for them to take, or something along those lines.

The coolest part is that you can do this all entirely on the Qualtrics platform! So you can use their custom reporting tools and keep all the data in one place.

I specialize in Custom Reporting, such as the End of Survey Message, and would love to point you in the right direction if you have any questions!

I really like the idea of your project, and think it could do a lot of good!
Badge
@Michael_Campbell_RedPepper: Thanks for the response! I love the suggestion of using embedded data.

To tie a bow on this conversation, I'm happy to report that the Qualtrics Experts at X4 helped coached me through how to manually add an embedded data variable via the Survey Flow (in this case it's a simple embedded data point I'm calling "Survey Session" named by year) that I'll be able to reference when I build dashboards for our schools. It'll be a process I'll need to repeat annually, but that won't be a problem for me... and I'm excited to get started!

Thanks again for the response!

Leave a Reply