Having people go over questions for multiple responses? | XM Community
Solved

Having people go over questions for multiple responses?

• 20 March 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a survey where I'm trying to have people answer the same questions for multiple responses. So let's say someone selects "Apples" and "Bananas" for their choices, next I want to ask them a series of questions for both apples and bananas like "What do you like about the taste" or "Do you like their color?" and have them first answer these questions for apples then the same repeated questions for bananas. How can I do that?
icon

Best answer by Akdashboard 20 March 2018, 21:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Add the follow-up questions to a block, Use loop and merge to loop on selected choices from the previous question. Use piped text to pipe the category into the appropriate places.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Set up a loop & merge block with the questions you want to ask about each item. Set it up to loop based on the selected answers in your multiple response question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@baxter

The function you want to use is loop and merge. You can find some help in the Q resources section here (https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/loop-and-merge/)

Essentially you will need to have at least 2 blocks.
1. The one where people select "apples", "bananas" etc.
2. The one with the questions you want to ask.

You will "turn on" loop and merge to the 1st block, then select "Loop based off of a question", then select your question. At this point if you want to reword the options for formatting (make Apples > apples, for instance) you would type your change in to Field 2.

In the question(s) that you want repeated in your second block, use piped text to bring in your respondents selected choices. Choose "field 1" if you did not rename the options, or "field 2" if you did.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Hi - I want to do the same thing but my original question is a matrix. I have the loop and merge working but can't figure out how to pipe the selected answer. So for example... following the matrix below...

!

I want to ask follow up questions for any item where the respondent chose either "somewhat dissatisfied" or "extremely dissatisfied". What I'm ending up with is...

!

How do I get it to do a separate loop for each time the respondent chose "somewhat dissatisfied"?

THANKS!!!!

Leave a Reply