Customizing Matrix Table | XM Community
Solved

Customizing Matrix Table

• 10 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I have a matrix question and want to restrict it so that clients can only answer a single option per row AND per column. How can I set this up?
icon

Best answer by lillianc 14 November 2017, 18:57

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
For each choice in your matrix table, click the drop down menu and select "Make Answer Exclusive." Make sure every row has this option selected. This will prevent multiple options from being checked in a column of your matrix. Preventing a single option per row is already built-in if you allow only single answers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I don't think the "make answer exclusive" option appears for columns.

However, in the past I've set up custom validation (found toward the bottom of the light blue sidebar on the right side of the survey window) for the scenarios where columns have more than one answer selected. You set the validation to trigger if count for any of the columns is >1. That will then both trigger a message that you can customize with client-appropriate language about only selecting one answer per column and also block the client from moving forward until they adjust their answers.

!
Badge

Not only do I want to do this, but I also want to make certain row/column combinations unavailable. Consider how a typical school day goes. You have different courses offered different numbers of times per day in different time slots. You cannot register for more than one offering of the same course. You also cannot register for more than one time slot. However, some courses are offered in more than one time slot, and others are offered only once. For that matter, I want to append different data about different quotas to each table cell after each radio button.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Not only do I want to do this, but I also want to make certain row/column combinations unavailable. Consider how a typical school day goes. You have different courses offered different numbers of times per day in different time slots. You cannot register for more than one offering of the same course. You also cannot register for more than one time slot. However, some courses are offered in more than one time slot, and others are offered only once. For that matter, I want to append different data about different quotas to each table cell after each radio button.

You can use JavaScript (JS) to disable and/or hide specific cells. You could also use JS to add quota information to the cells (formatting may be a challenge).

Leave a Reply