Non-Qualtrics users editing completed survey responses | XM Community

Non-Qualtrics users editing completed survey responses

• 28 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge
Has anyone found ways for survey takers (who do not use Qualtrics) to re-take surveys (to edit their responses) when they choose? I know there are ways to use email triggers to send survey takers messages that have the option to edit their survey responses once completed. In my case, I do not want survey takers to receive an email link to retake their surveys after every completed survey, but I want them to have the option to go back and edit their responses at a later time if they choose. In this case, survey takers often want to edit past responses (since several folks in my organization can view what they say) but do not want to get a million emails about editing survey responses for each internal survey that they take. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Are you using Target Audience? You can use the API to look up a person's history that includes responses. That response data includes survey id and response id that you can use to build a retake link. You could have a web page where you use their email to lookup and present a list of retake survey links. Actually, if you wanted to, you could do it in a Qualtrics survey with a block to ask for email, a web service call, and a block that displays the results.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I second @TomG. This can be done in Qualtrics, with a little bit of setup. Basically you are creating a retake link that deletes the old response upon completion (replaces the old response).
This page of the response will explain it: Retake Link.

Next, you need a way for these people to access the surveys they have taken, so that they can click the appropriate re-take link to edit their response. There are a number of ways to do this depending on the complexity of your organization, so I will just explain one and let you figure out the best way to apply it to your situation. This will assume you have Target Audience.

Step 1: Make sure every person who you want the ability to edit their response exists in Target Audience.
Step 2: Use Qualtrics' API to write make a call to attach the retake link for a given survey (say Survey 1) to an emebedded data field (call it Retake Link Survey 1).
Step 3: Create a new project in Qualtrics called "Retake Links Portal" that uses the authenticator block to identify the correct user. Then make the first "question" just text entry with the user's name (piped text), survey names (static), and appropriate survey retake links (piped text). You may want to add additional logic to delete all responses from this survey, as it isn't acting a survey but instead as a redirect portal.
Badge +1
Hi @TomG @Akdashboard and @tanguay87

1. very helpful -- we've had to deal with similar issue(s) due to various platform issues causing respondents to get stuck in mid-survey

2. Have you considered whether this approach could be used for GDPR compliance for members of our Target Audience panel? For example, we'd like to allow panel members in TA to edit their profile (name, org type, org name, job title etc), but there's no easy way (that we know) for panelists to log into TA and do this.

Thanks

> @TomG said:
> Are you using Target Audience? You can use the API to look up a person's history that includes responses. That response data includes survey id and response id that you can use to build a retake link. You could have a web page where you use their email to lookup and present a list of retake survey links. Actually, if you wanted to, you could do it in a Qualtrics survey with a block to ask for email, a web service call, and a block that displays the results.

> @Akdashboard said:
> I second @TomG. This can be done in Qualtrics, with a little bit of setup. Basically you are creating a retake link that deletes the old response upon completion (replaces the old response).
> This page of the response will explain it: Retake Link.
>
> Next, you need a way for these people to access the surveys they have taken, so that they can click the appropriate re-take link to edit their response. There are a number of ways to do this depending on the complexity of your organization, so I will just explain one and let you figure out the best way to apply it to your situation. This will assume you have Target Audience.
>
> Step 1: Make sure every person who you want the ability to edit their response exists in Target Audience.
> Step 2: Use Qualtrics' API to write make a call to attach the retake link for a given survey (say Survey 1) to an emebedded data field (call it Retake Link Survey 1).
> Step 3: Create a new project in Qualtrics called "Retake Links Portal" that uses the authenticator block to identify the correct user. Then make the first "question" just text entry with the user's name (piped text), survey names (static), and appropriate survey retake links (piped text). You may want to add additional logic to delete all responses from this survey, as it isn't acting a survey but instead as a redirect portal.

> @tanguay87 said:
> Has anyone found ways for survey takers (who do not use Qualtrics) to re-take surveys (to edit their responses) when they choose? I know there are ways to use email triggers to send survey takers messages that have the option to edit their survey responses once completed. In my case, I do not want survey takers to receive an email link to retake their surveys after every completed survey, but I want them to have the option to go back and edit their responses at a later time if they choose. In this case, survey takers often want to edit past responses (since several folks in my organization can view what they say) but do not want to get a million emails about editing survey responses for each internal survey that they take. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@JoeZ,

Yes, you could create a survey where you load current data from Target Audience, pre-populate survey question answers with the current data, then at the end of the survey update Target Audience with the question answers using a Contact Trigger. You can send out email invites for people to update their info or use an Authenticator in the survey flow.

Leave a Reply